We are currently creating content for this section. In order to be able to keep up with our high standards of service, we need a little more time.
In the meantime have a look at the courses we will be presenting soon.
Please stop by again. Thank you for your interest!
This course is a favourite over many years.
In this course we look at how to plan a safari.
Travelling into Africa taught us some hard lessons -
- we had our meat and foodstuff confiscated (we had to change our menus),
- we were robbed,
- we got stuck in sand and mud,
- we ran out of fuel (yes there is a story to it)
- we had many mechanical and electrical breakdowns
- we ran out of battery power and our fridges stopped working
- we experienced hot, cold weather and packed the wrong clothes to wear
- we were stung by mosquitoes, insects and tsetse flies
- we had to fend off elephants, hyenas in our camps
- and lots more...
There is a lot more to this than just the two word "Safari Planning." In this course we cover quite a lot of aspects that seems to be ignored or people simply does not know about:
- where to we want to go
- when do we want to go
- what do we know about the journey and the obstacles to get there
- what do we know about the destination?
- what do we know about the people and cultures en rout and at the final destination
- how do plan for emergencies: medical evacuation, vehicle breakdowns, delays, getting stuck in sand, water or mud?
- what do we know about the movements of foodstuff during our journey and at our final destination
- what are the requirements in respect of vehicles crossing the borders
- do we have the right documents?
- how do we plan for fuel and oil
- do we need to service our vehicles en route?
- do you know what recovery gear or tools to pack?
- do we have the right food for our guests? Do we know what their food and dietary requirements are?
- and lots more.
Some of these experiences are covered in other courses [see more below] but when you look at these questions you realise a lot of thought must go into Safari Planning.
BUSH MECHANICS COURSE:
When your car or caravan/trailer breaks down in the bush and you are hundreds of miles/kilometers away from help you need to rely on yourself to get of of an emergency.
In this course we look at [inter alia]:
- the proper way to grease bearings
- why we have bearing failures
- why we have axle or chassis failures
- how to build a bush-welder from batteries and weld a broken metal part.
- how to splint a broken A-frame (we are the pioneers of this technique)
- why your tyres [tires] are running off in the inside or outside
- how to patch a tyre
- how to put a tyre back onto the rim
- and lots more...
GPS & RADIO COMMS COURSE:
A fancy R2million motorhome once was fitted with a grand navigation system, but the problem was it was cell-phone tower orientated rather than satellite based. This vehicle had an emergency in an area where the were no cell-phone reception - this could be you or someone in your party.
Do you know how to read a map and give GPS co-ordinates from that map [i.e. how the calculate the co-ordinates]?
What is topography?
What does the lines on cadastral maps represent?
Can you plan a route or a recovery escape from a cadastral map? [A storm or a flood may have changed the landscape and your GPS won't know it?] Can you plan time and duration of a trip from your emergency map and where to setup camp?
Do you know how to determine direction with a compass?
Do you know the etiquette of radio comms or the language used in radio comms?
Do you know what type of 2 way radios to use and the legal implications using a 2-way radio.
Why do we want to use a 2 way radio when we have cell phones?
4X4 TOWING COURSE & 4X4 RECOVERY COURSE:
These courses are very much practical of nature.
Have you ever driven a 4x4? There is a huge difference in the different gear ratios and different vehicles.
Do you know how and when to use the different "diff locks"?
Do you know why a 4x4 is necessary for certain journeys and destinations?
Do you know what causes your 4x4 caravan or trailer to sway?
We will teach you the correct 4x4 driving techniques and how to pack your vehicles.
Have you ever reversed a 4x4 caravan or a 4x4 trailer? Do you know that there are different dynamics to a 4x4 caravans as opposed to a 4x4 trailer.
A major obstacle to driving and towing a 4x4 caravan or trailer lies in then the reversing - we will teach you the techniques to make it easier.
MORE DETAILS ON COURSES TO FOLLOW
We will add more info on our courses in the weeks to come.
If you need more information on our courses please drop us an email to email@example.com or use our Contact Us form.