A TASTE OF AFRICA
[Not to be confused with NATOA our A Taste of Africa training programme - NATOA click on link]
We are currently creating content for this section. In order to be able to keep up with our high standards of service, we need a little more time.
Please stop by again. Thank you for your interest!
When you book a trip with A Taste of Africa [or Ngonyama Safari Club] you are not only getting an authentic and unique cooking/foodie experience, you will also experience our rich wildlife [with an photographic safari] and the different cultures of South Africa to make this the trip of your dreams.
Have you ever eaten a Limpopo burger [made from Mopani worms]? Or umphokoqo or gnush? Do you know what a Wagonneer Breakfast is? Do you know the very unique South African Biltong or a "braai" [BBQ]? Do not worry we will teach you these skills with a wildlife & food photography course and your very own recipe & course of what you have learnt, as a future reference. We will tell you where these foods originated from and why it is eaten.
Have you ever camped [in luxury] in the bush with wild animals around your campsite? Have you ever taken an off-road trip into the bush with a 4x4?
We also have standard safaris into various destinations - see example itineraries below for the tour that will suit you.
A Taste of Africa - an unique culinary tour
MZANSI CULTURAL, CULINARY, PHOTOGRAPHY & WILDLIFE TOUR - THE BEST VACATION EVER!
7 days/6 nights: $3250* [USD] per person sharing.
*based on a minimum of 8 persons per trip.
Mzansi is a word derived from the Xhosa language which directly translated means "South" but in urban slang it means the whole of South Africa. We have 11 official languages but much...much more cultures. We can only give you a glimpse of some of the more prominent cultures on this trip.
DAY 1: [provisional itinerary]
- Our friendly guide/driver will pick you up at O.R. Tambo International airport and transport you to our luxury Afri-Taste Guesthouse in Pretoria.
- meet & mingle with our guests and we will have a session with a street chef [apart from our house wines of the day all alcoholic & soft drinks are excluded].
- We start off your breakfast with a cultural foodie experience - a typical Boer/Afrikaner breakfast which we call the Wagonneer Breakfast. Lesson 1
- you haven't experience South Africa if you have never eaten "biltong & dried wors" - today we will tech you the art of biltong making - Lesson 2. A section hereof will be devoted to biltong carpaccio which we will elaborate on later in the week. We will visit Theron's Meat factory to experience first-hand of how South African meat is processed.
- we will have another cultural breakfast using maize meal to create umphokoqo or putu pap [porridge]. Lesson 3.
- today we will visit Cullinan a quaint little village close to Pretoria where we will do a diamond tour in the Premier diamond Mine.
- after the mine tour we will do some craft beer tasting at The Cockpit Brew and have a light lunch.
- If time permits we will visit a Ndebele Village.
- Today we will visit Lesedi Cultural Village: it is one of the best tourist attractions in South Africa, allowing visitors to really explore the glorious diversity of the people of this land.
Set amid rocky hills and bushveld less than one hour’s drive from Johannesburg, and on the way to Sun City, Lesedi Cultural Village offers visitors a chance to encounter people of Zulu, Xhosa, Pedi, Ndebele and Basotho origin. You’ll meet real people (not actors in fancy dress), enter their homes and listen to stories about their individual cultures and rituals of daily life.
- We will have a late lunch at one of the themed restaurants
DAY 5 & 6:
- For the next two days we will spend time in the bush at Dinokeng or Pilansberg experiencing the Africa wildlife where we will do our Wildlife photography course.
- South Africa is famous for its braais and you will have the opportunity to experience a braai yourself under the watchful eyes and mentorship of our chefs.
- you will camp in luxury and travel in our 4x4 off-road vehicles where we will view the wildlife.
- We will have an early breakfast and travel back to Afri-Taste Guesthouse
- you will receive your unique recipe/course book
- our guide/driver will shuttle you to the airport
PHOTO BOOK: A TASTE OF AFRICA